Migrating to new Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by OldMacKid, Jan 13, 2011.

1. OldMacKid macrumors newbie

Hi there,
    My first post; I'm about to assemble a new 6-core MP. I've got about 270GB of stuff on my MacPro1.1 making the migration about 6 hours (if all goes well).

Anyone know if you can use 2 parallel firewire 800 pathways at the same time in Target mode?

Is connecting in Target mode and then CCC the original HD best, or just drag the HD contents to the new Master?

This system should rip, only moving parts are fans and an occasional TimeMachine backup. (three 120GB SSDs in RAID 0) :)-).

Also, any precautions wrt Parallels 6 (6.0.11828) and WXP & W7 migrating?

Thanks Much,

2. simsaladimbamba

What do you mean by this? Do you want to start the new MP or the old MP in Target Disk Mode and do you want to connect an external HDD to the MP in Target Disk Mode or the MP you connect the MP in Target Disk Mode to?

Definitely use CCC, as copying will not copy all files. Be sure to have the latest Mac OS X version on the old MP, via downloading the Combo Updater for 10.6.6.

Not if you use the CCC method I guess.

3. OldMacKid thread starter macrumors newbie

Target Mode dual firewire

Hello simsaladimbamba,

My plans are off with the new MP, hook up 2 800 firewire cables, on with new MP (hold down T). Now on the old MP I should see new MP as a drive (or folder) on old MP display. Then CCC old MP master HD as source and new MP as target.

4. simsaladimbamba

That should work, but one FW800 cable is sufficient to connect both MPs, regardless of the old or the new MP in Target Disk Mode.
    And the MP in Target Disk Mode will show up as drive on the other MP, or even as several drives, depending how many drives the MP in Target Disk Mode has.

5. OldMacKid thread starter macrumors newbie

2 firewire connections for speed

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I am wondering if connecting 2 firewire 800s could speed up my data transfer, can't wait the 6 hours; but I could sleep for 3 hours.

So if one could direct WHICH firewire path data uses, one might be able to cause two simultaneous migrations going at the same time to save total time.

eg if you had CCC moving about half the stuff (with the System), while maybe drag and drop the rest over to another partition and manage the first to use one fw800 path and the other the other fw800 path .....
    Of course this might require the system to use more than one core, probably won't happen.

I'm actually just killing time waiting for my MP shipment and thinking about how quick I can get it all together ....

I'll probably try this and find that my data goes over to new MP on one path and back to original MP on the other path, LOL, and crash both.

6. diazj3, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011

diazj3 macrumors 6502a

Target mode will only be able to use one FW connection to transfer data, regardless of what process you use... streaming the CCC transfer, using the Migration Assistant to pull the data and apps from the old MP, or copying files manually. I dont know how will the FW card react to a second connection, hope you dont damage the card though... but just try it out and let us know :eek: I assume your old MP has FW400, and the new one will come with FW800, so you'll need either a pair of adapters or FW400-800 (6pin to 9pin) cables.

... seriously, I wouldn't risk it...

But WHY use firewire in the first place? Hasn't your old MP a Sata drive you can put into the new MP to do the data transfer via SATA? The easiest and fastest thing to do is to take out the old MP's drives and put them into the new MP, isn't it?

And why cant you wait the process run normally? Six hours for less than 300GB? that must be wrong.... Mind if I ask whats the big critical hurry for this? It sounds youre in a life or death mission.... :p