Migrating to new Mac tomorrow

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EthanXC1, May 28, 2010.

1. EthanXC1 macrumors member

Hello, I'm buying a new Macbook Pro tomorrow and am planning to transfer my files from my iMac to it. However, I do not want to transfer all of them. When transferring, does it allow me to select what specifically is transferred? Or does it do the whole harddrive automatically?

2. jsviper96 macrumors newbie

jsviper96

What you will need: FireWire cable, likely a FireWire 400 to 800. 400 looks like this. 800 looks like this. Your old Mac will likely have 400, the new MacBook Pros have 800.

When you turn on the new Mac, it will play a welcome video, then the second screen will ask if you want to transfer your information. Plug in the FireWire between the two computers. Select "From Another Mac." It will then instruct you to turn on the old computer holding down the "T" key. Hold it down until the screen has a FireWire logo moving around. This allows the old computer to be read by the new one.

A few windows later it will allow you to select what is transferred. You have a fair amount of control to the folder level what is moved (ie you can select in your user account to move (or not) movies, music, downloads, documents, pictures, etc). You can also chose whether or not to move your apps over (older versions won't override new versions on new Mac, don't worry, you won't be rocking iLife '06 on your new MBP, it's smart enough to keep iLife '09), as well as computer / network settings and "other files" on your Mac.

There are other ways to move your data between the Macs other than FireWire, but it is the fastest and least cumbersome (compared to ethernet). If you had a Time Machine backup, its a close second to FW in regards to ease of moving data over.

They did a pretty good job making it "dummie proof;" you'll have no problems. Best of luck.

Annnnddddd (if that wasn't long winded enough), if you only want a few files to come over from the old iMac, you can do it manually. Go through the setup on the MBP skipping the data migration, then, once you're booted into the desktop, you can plug the FW cable between the two and hold down the "T" key on the iMac while turning it on.

It will then show up the desktop (likely as "Macintosh HD" in orange external icon style), and you can then manually drag and drop things in.

3. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

4. EthanXC1 thread starter macrumors member

Wow thanks a lot for all that info. I was originally planning to do it over wifi, but it sounds like that might take all day. Might have to pick up a firewire.

5. EthanXC1 thread starter macrumors member

Any estimate on how long transferring 80gigs over wifi would take? My internet is 18.6mbs down/ 13.6 up. Trying to decide whether it is worth picking up a firewire.

6. celticpride678

7. EthanXC1 thread starter macrumors member

I ended up only transferring ~40GB in an attempt to expedite the process. I am now 4 hours in and not even half way done. =( Ah well, should be ready by morning.