Migrating to new MBPr from Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GLWOLL, Dec 3, 2013.

1. GLWOLL macrumors newbie

Just got a new MBPr 15 inch, I plan to use Migration Assistant to transfer data from the Time Machine backup for my November 2007 13-inch white Macbook with 10.6.8.

Are there any major issues that I face in the transfer?

I'm still using Microsoft Office 2004, which is not supported on Mavericks. I have bought Office 2011.

Should I remove Office 2004 from my old Macbook and then do a new backup so there's not a problem when I migrate programs and files? Or can I select not to migrate Office? Or will the 2011 installation write over those files?

I've read that people had trouble uninstalling Office 2004 from a later computer because the uninstaller is not supported. Or I guess you can manually trash the Office folder?

Thanks for your assistance.

2. ufkdo macrumors 6502

It is always better to completely uninstall any unsupported software and any associating library files before migrating. Even if you don't uninstall, they will be moved to a folder called "Unsupported Software" but installation method of Microsoft softwares are different, so I cannot predict how Mavericks will behave.

3. GLWOLL thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks -- would it be best to uninstall all PPC apps before migrating? I could still use them on the old computer. I guess I can reinstall them as necessary after the migration.

4. ufkdo macrumors 6502

If those apps are installed without an installer (I mean just dragging them to Applications folder) I don't think their existence while migrating will cause any problems since they will be moved to Incompatible Software (or will not be moved at all). Office 2004 uses an installer and uninstalling it requires not just dragging apps to Trash but running an uninstaller or manually deleting associating files. Probably, some junk will be moved to your new system that may affect the performance of Office 2011 if you have Office 2004 while migrating. And uninstaller of Office 2004 will not work under Mavericks etc. A lot of problems :) In short, if an app requires an uninstaller to be correctly uninstalled, I suggest you to uninstall before migrating.