Migrating to series 2

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mzanker, Sep 15, 2016.

1. mzanker macrumors regular

Hey all - how are those of you upgrading from series 0 to series 2 planning to migrate to your new watch? Is it just a matter of unpairing the old watch (so that it backs up to the iPhone) and then pairing the new one and restoring from the backup?

What about credit cards stored on the watch?

I'm not sure myself whether to restore from series 0 backup or just start afresh with the new one.

2. FrisbeeK9 macrumors 6502a

FrisbeeK9

I restored my current watch from a previous watch. I unpaired the previous watch and paired to new watch and restored just fine.

3. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

I'll be getting a new phone and watch today. I'm guess I'll unpair with the old iP6, migrate the iP6 to the iP7 and then pair the series 2 watch to the iP7.

BTW, until I read this post, I didn't know the original watch was series 0. I assumed it was series 1. Must have been named by a developer (generally in coding, arrays and such always start with 0, not 1)

4. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

I just "pair new watch" optioned and did it from a back up of the 0 I had just taken off my wrist. everything went smoothly. Now I am waiting for my new iPhone to finish updating and stuff so I can pair the new one to that phone and delete the old watch and phone completely.

5. mzanker thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks all - I unpaired my existing watch then paired the new one, restoring from backup. All worked fine. As part of the setup process it asked if I wanted to add my credit cards back.

6. dannymcg macrumors member

I'm just about to do this. Did it save your activity data for the day?

7. mzanker thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, picked right up where it left off on the old watch!

8. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

was wondering if the way you did it would retain the exercise data for the day as well. Cool to know. i also now know that the iPhone can detect which watch you're wearing so you don't have to unpair either one....now if only I could think of a reason not to send this OG watch to my old mom that I told I would to help with her health and exercise lol i kid I'm gonna send it