Migrating to SSD - Recommendations for backups & General prep

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dhelsdon, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I just bought a 64GB Kingston SSD to replace my 320GB drive in my A1151 MBP.

I was wondering what is the best way to organize the new system with the limited space (external drives for most). I plan on using it for OS, and maybe my top 5 or 10 applications I use. With about ~25GB of music and photos in iTunes and iPhoto, would it be best to keep them all on the SSD and put everything else onto external drive(s)?

If you use an SSD please, explain how you went about swapping over. I want to make sure I've got everything I need BEFORE I install the OS onto my new SSD. Assuming I should do a fresh install- could I use time machine to assist me in this? I am basically just trying to find a clean, relatively easy way to do the backup, without having too much crap bogging down the drive in the end result.

As it is now, I've got tons of various downloads (mostly media which still needs to be transferred to my NAS which will be less to worry about later)
    once those are gone, mainly i'll use Firefox, iTunes, iPhoto, uTorrent, VLC and
    a couple other small apps.

Bootcamp is another story, but I am not too worried about that - I can figure out what I want to do with that after I make the swap.

All tips, advice and critisism is welcome, I am just searching for advice and to see how others have organized their systems when introducing an SSD. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and hopefully for responding!

2. Ifti macrumors 68000

I have a 240GB SSD, so I tend to put everything on the drive, including my iTunes and data.

If I had a smaller drive I would place my OS and programs on the SSD, and all music and files/data onto an external Firewire drive, or onto a network drive. This inlcludes my iTunes Library. If you have a Sandforce drive, you want to keep a good portion of it free if you can, since it TRIMs on the fly.

3. Dhelsdon, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011

Dhelsdon thread starter macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Is it hard to point iPhoto to use an external drive for it's primary storage instead of manually moving files anytime I sync photos?

4. Dhelsdon thread starter macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Also I plan to use a USB 2.0 320 GB external drive, would I be better off to use a firewire drive? Is there any noticeable difference for everday use?