Migrating to the New Macbook Wirelessly

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tecnho, Apr 25, 2015.

1. tecnho macrumors 6502

Some novice setup questions:

Getting ready to receive the new rMB and I wanted to plan out a way to move content over from an early 2008 MB.
    The main item to move would be about 4.5 GB of itunes music and another 3GB of mobile apps. Without an external drive or a paid apple icloud account, what would be the best method of transfer? Would itunes Home Sharing take too long for this amount of data via wifi? (12 MB conncetion). Can I incrementally use my ~2GB allocation on drop box or just spring for a cheap small capacity external drive for under $20 and be over with it? Or perhaps I can just connect my iPhone to the new computer and copy back that info from the phone quickly with the usbc adapter.

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

3. tecnho thread starter macrumors 6502

I realize that, but roughly how long would that take over wifi?

4. Johnny Alien macrumors member

It took about 8 hours over wifi to go from my 2013 Air to my 2015 rMBP. It seems like I had more GB of data than what you are saying but it is still slow moving on wifi. That said it still does a way better job than manually doing it as far as I'm concerned. If the MBA had an ethernet port I could have done it much faster.

5. tecnho thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that information, that gives me a good ballpark estimate. Additionally, I am trying to start off to a clean start, so to speak, with the notebook so I a reluctant to just do a bulk migration of all my stuff since it invariably carries with it lots of junk. What would you suggest in terms of a more customized and precise migration? Would I still be able to control what gets moved within Migration Assostant?

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

How long's a piece of string? Depends on your wireless standard and signal strength.

It'll be massively faster than backing up to the cloud and pulling it back down again, that's for sure.

7. tecnho thread starter macrumors 6502

Migrating to the New Macbook Wirelessly

Ok. Sounds like migration assistant via wifi is the way to go then. I will make sure to clean the old Mac as best as I can before moving it all over. Probably just end up excluding the apps transfer because most need to be updated to Yosemite anyways. Thanks for the input fellas.

8. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

I have an Apple 1TB Wireless N TimeCapsule (The older square-shaped model, not the newer tower-type AC model) and used migration assistant to restore my TimeMachine backup over Wifi. I restored about 50 gigs of data and apps and it took just over 3 hours. The MacBook was powered/plugged-in the whole time and was about 10 feet from the router. After that, I did the 10.10.3 update - about 30 minutes - and then a bunch of Office 2016 preview updates - also about 30 minutes. So about 4 hours all together before I was able to really use it.