Migrating two OSX laptops to each other ..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eVolcre, May 27, 2014.

1. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Not sure if thats the exact term. I've got a 11" MBA (128 GB HD 100 GB Time machine backup) and a second 17" MBP (500GB HD 75GB Time Machine backup).

What I'd like to do is switch the two computers. Have the 11" files/setting/apps moved over to the big bad boy and vice versa.

Doesn't seem to work. I've got two time machine backups. As a first step I'm moving the 17" MBP over to the MBA. Tried a migration assistant (says there isn't enough disk space on the MBA), same with holding down Command R while booting and doing a reinstall/restore from TM - not enough space.

How do I,

1. Wipe the MBA and restore it from the MBP backup and then

2. Do the same on the 17" MBP.

Thanks!

eV

2. HappyJun macrumors newbie

Switch the Hard Drive

Hi, why don't you just switch the hard drive from both, but you need a technician to do this. It's faster that way, although I haven't tried it. If you decide to wipe and restore from the Time Machine, first you must be sure that the backups are working without errors. You can use Disk Utility and verify this.

Hope this helps.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Because the OP has a MBA which does not have a hard drive but a proprietary SSD and a 17" MBP that does have a hard drive - two completely different and incompatible storage devices.

4. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Right. Switching drives isn't an option. Must be an easier way.

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Assumption: Both are running the same release of OS X (if not, this isn't going to work right).

First E&I both computers. That will put you at out-of-the-box condition with just the OS on them, all other storage empty.

When you start up the Macs after the E&I, you'll go through Setup Assistant - run the Migration from there, migrating from the other machine's TM backup. On the Air, you may need to de-select some aspects of the Pro's backup if it won't all fit in 128GB storage. Should be no problem on the Pro with the larger drive.

6. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Thanks mate. Sounds like this should work. One's on 10.9.3 the other 10.9.1 but that's a quick fix. I downsized the pro's core file backup to keep it under 100 GB, that shouldn't be a problem. Will give it a shot tomorrow and post back here with an update.

eV

(love your sig!)

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

A quicker way would be to create a new temp admin account then login to that account. Now delete the real account and its contents. Then from within the temp account use Migration Assistant to import the account and data from the correct TM backup. Once that is done, restart into the real account and then delete the temp account. Repeat this on each machine.

8. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Even better. Let me try this one (time difference, I"m in Asia) on one machine. And get back to you here. Thanks!