Migrating user data from Lion to Leopard

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by prvt.donut, Dec 13, 2012.

1. prvt.donut macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

Hi,

So, what with my Powermac coming along, I was wondering about the possibility of migrating my user data (iPhoto, iMovie, iTunes and user files) from my 2011 MacBook Air to my PowerMac G5, I have a 240GB SSD (SATA II) on the way and I have a 2TB data drive waiting to to dropped into the second drive.

I just think that instead of always having to worry about precious SSD space and moving files around or just not importing my camera photos, having the PowerMac as my main system would make sense.

Is this feasible?

Will I have trouble with my iPhone 5?

Am I insane for thinking about this?:eek:

2. RedCroissant Suspended

Your iPhone 5 will not sync as far as I know because you till need at least iTunes 10.7 and the latest iTunes that will run on PPC is 10.6.4.

I have an iBook G4 and it's great but doesn't handle things incredibly well anymore. If it was a dual core that would be awesome. Which PowerMac will you have?

Did you consider a local network storage solution before deciding on using the PowerMac as your main machine?

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I can answer the iPhone 5 part by saying, yes, you will have trouble there if you want to sync via iTunes. The iPhone 5 requires a minimum of iTunes 10.7, which requires an Intel Mac and Snow Leopard. There are third party alternatives, but they aren't straightforward and mainly work by copying files back and forth, but no syncing. It's the syncing part that makes your iPhone recognize the files.

4. prvt.donut thread starter macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

I actually signed up for icloud back up for my iOS devices. Does that mean I don't have to worry about it anymore? Will iPhoto be able to pull the photos from the phone still?

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No idea. The version of iPhoto I have doesn't work with iCloud (didn't even realize that was possible). There may be later versions that worked on PowerPC with MobileMe and thus iCloud, but I don't know. I don't use iPhoto much. I mainly just keep my pictures on my iPhone 5. If it's that important to me I'll pull it off and put it somewhere safe.

If your iPhone is set to backup to iCloud then the pictures on your iPhone are saved in to iCloud. If you had to restore from iCloud you would get those pictures back. So, in that manner of speaking your pictures are indeed backed up. But the iPhoto part I don't know about.