Migrating using Carbon Copy Cloner - help please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by radicaldog, Mar 19, 2011.

1. radicaldog, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011

radicaldog macrumors member

I just got a MBP (13' i5) and tried to migrate from my old MB via wifi (I don't have a firewire cable and don't want to spend £30 on one). It didn't work at all ('The other Mac is not responding...": could be because they go to sleep after a while and I should've changed the energy saver settings). Then I did a Time Machine backup on my external hd and migrated from that, via USB. The files and apps were transferred but my settings, iTunes library etc. weren't. So I rebooted my new MBP from the installation CD, wiped the HD clean, and reinstalled OSX. Meanwhile I also wiped my external HD and put an exact copy of my old MB's HD with Carbon Copy Cloner on it. Now I'm going to try and migrate to my new MBP from that carbon copy -- anything I should know about before taking the plunge with Migration Assistant? Should I tell it to do it from a backup or should I pretend that the cloned backup is another mac? Or should I connect the USB drive and do the migration from 'another volume on this Mac'? Thanks in advance.

2. Kanthony macrumors member

Use Migration Assistant, Carbon Copy won't work with the newer macs, I tried on my new MBP and because of the build of osx that are on the newer machines, you can't use carbon copy. Use Migration Assistant with an ethernet cable and you'll get a perfect, fast transfer.

3. radicaldog thread starter macrumors member

Really? The guy in the genius bar said CC would work. I'm really puzzled now. Might just try with the ethernet cable.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Here is what you do. Fire up your new MBP and attached the external USB HD you cloned from the old machine. Start up migration assistant and tell it you want to migrate from "another volume on this computer" then select the USB drive as your source. Check all the boxes in Migration Assistant to migrate your data.

5. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

I also tried to use CCC and became frustrated with it. I will give migration assistant a go and see how that works.

6. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

The new MacBook Pro computers ship with a newer build of Mac OS X than what is currently available (10.6.6 build 10J3210), whereas the latest available build for Macintosh computers (models 2010 and earlier) is 10.6.6 build 10J567.

This special build contains drivers and other resources required for the new MacBook Pro's to start-up correctly, therefore any earlier builds will not be able to successfully start the computer.

Your best bet would be to use Migration Assistant either using your external hard disk as the source for your files or by connecting your old MacBook via an Ethernet cable.

Hope that helps and have a great day.

7. davidlv macrumors 65816

Try MA with the external HD connected, if it recognizes the external HD that will work. If it doesn't you can still use CCC, but because the OS is newer for the new MBP, you will have to use the install DVD and overwrite the system on the external HD, after you have a fresh clone from your older system, overwriting the system but not the new user data, then use that updated cloned HD to boot up and clone again to the internal.
    The confusion between the "will work" and "won't work" statements above is understandable, yes, CCC will work but you can't boot up from a cloned HD unless the system has been updated.
    Ah so confusing, :confused::confused::confused:

8. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

Do you have to connect the macs with a patch cable or just any ethernet?

9. Kanthony macrumors member

He was wrong

This will work as well OP

I tried it as well the day I received my 2.2 and it didn't work for me either, MA will work for you

Exactly, good post

You can use firewire or ethernet I believe, you can use wifi, but it will be slow. Ethernet is quick and easy

10. radicaldog thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the responses. So I tried MB to MBP with migration assistant over Ethernet, and at -16mins it just stopped working ('there might be a problem with your network etc.'). Perhaps it's a dodgy cable -- it is a bit old and beat up, to be frank. Anyway now I re-wiped the MBP hd and will try from the external hd with the cloned drive ('from another volume on this mac' option). Frustrating. I've done this before when I upgraded the hd on my old MB and it went very smoothly.

11. radicaldog thread starter macrumors member

Update: the cloned hd method ('from another volume on this mac') worked fine. Thanks again.

12. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

Great to hear! Enjoy your new MacBook Pro! :)

13. radicaldog thread starter macrumors member

Thanks :) Except now I've got another problem :/ (apols for self-derailing this thread)

I'm trying to connect my new MBP to my external monitor (via DVI). Mirroring is on. With my old MB I could just close the lid and then wake up the machine with the external keyboard and mouse. Now I do that, I hear the MBP waking up, but the display stays asleep. What should I do? Thanks in advance.

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Glad to hear this helped. On the ethernet method, I have found if you have the firewall turned on on the old machine the Migration Assistant will not detect it.