Migrating via TimeMachine + Delivery Time in London

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cairene2011, Jan 8, 2015.

1. cairene2011 Guest

Hello there

I'm doing the risky sounding thing of selling my current MBA before buying my new rMBP.

I'm selling my old MBA while I'm still here in Austria for my holiday break (because it has a German keyboard that not many buyers in the UK would appreciate), but will get my new rMBP delivered to my flat in London, where it will be awaiting my return next Thursday.

Now, I have bought an external HDD and partitioned it 2x. On one partition I made a time machine backup, on the other partition I just manually saved selected key files (Documents, Aperture Library, iTunes Library etc).

Do I need to consider anything else or should I be covered? I haven't migrated via a Time Machine backup before, so I'm a bit unsure. Is there anything that needs to be saved separately because it won't be covered by TimeMachine?

Thank you so much! :)

(Edit: Sorry, forgot to amend the title before posting... my question about the delivery time has solved itself)

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nope... if you did a full TM backup that will capture everything you need. During system setup on the new machine you will be asked if you want to import. Just say yes and follow the steps to import from your TM disk. That will bring in your user account along with all apps and data.

3. cairene2011 thread starter Guest

Perfect, thanks so much! Sorry for asking such a silly question, but hey... better safe than sorry before wiping your SSD! :D

4. macs4nw, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015

macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

You may strongly consider a redundant backup on a secondary drive, at least of your most important files should, heaven forbid, your HDD get misplaced or stolen during your trip, or something go wrong with the HDD itself. Or even back-up those most important files to one of the many cloud services available.

I'd be very, very leery to have all my documents and important files on one physical drive, partitioned or not.
    Consider if anything were to happen to that one HDD; you essentially have zero backup. Best of Luck!

P.S. Don't forget to de-authorize your MBA before handing it over to the new owner.