Migration Assistance - Google Drive Sync

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hlkc, Nov 14, 2012.

1. hlkc macrumors regular

Currently I've a MBP in one house. Bought a MBA for another house. I plan to use Migration Assistance to copy everything from MBP to MBA. I am planning to use Google Drive to sync all my docs and files between MBP, MBA and other idevices. My question is if I use Migration Assistance, will the MBA get confused and sync the docs and files back to Google Drive after the Migration Assistance completed? Should I NOT Migration Assistance or exclude the docs and files and when Migration Assistance done, I should let Google Drive from MBA download the docs and files from Google Cloud to MBA and sync it from there? Please advice.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have done this with two machines and Dropbox, and Dropbox recognized the second machine was new and just merged the data and kept on syncing. I would think Google Drive would work the same way.

3. hlkc thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the feedback Weaselboy! Hope Google Drive will recognized the files and merged instead of upload it back to the Google Cloud Drive.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

What will likely happen is Google Drive on the new computer won't be happy with the Google Drive folder from the migration. You'll probably end up deleting it and having all the files re-download to a new GDrive folder.

5. hlkc thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the feedback BrianBaughn! Based on Weaselboy Dropbox experience, files merging works in the new computer in Dropbox!