Migration Assistant and iLife

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TheMacBookPro, Jun 20, 2009.

1. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Hey,

I just received my new unibody Macbook (late '08) and will be transferring my files from my old (early '08) Macbook Pro using migration assistant. As it transfers all of my applications (I'm assuming it's also going to transfer my serial numbers for Photoshop CS3 as well?) I was wondering, since my new MB comes with iLife 09 and the MBP has iLife 08, would I lose iLife 09 and have to reinstall it again using the disks, or would it simply not transfer the old iLife?

Also, I wanted to install Vista using bootcamp (currently running XP on the MBP) so could I not select the Bootcamp partition to be transferred- just the apps/docs/music and stuff on OS X?

Thanks!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Migration assistant transfers files but not applications that are of a lower version than what already exists on the new computer.

No, you can't move Windows; you have to reinstall completely.

3. TheMacBookPro thread starter macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Excellent! Does it also move all my serial numbers for CS3 and other random apps (Quicktime Pro, iWork, Office 08 etc)?

4. TheMacBookPro thread starter macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

For some apps it does, for other apps it doesn't. It just depends on the location of where the app stores its serial number.

6. TheMacBookPro thread starter macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro