Migration Assistant and Office 2008

Discussion in 'macOS' started by angemon89, Sep 7, 2008.

1. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Hey everyone, I fully intend on buying a Mac notebook when they are refreshed, and I just wanted to know how migration assistant handles programs with serial numbers. I am currently on an iMac and when the notebooks come out I want to use migration assistant to transfer EVERYTHING over.

Will there be problems with Office on my new machine? Will Office be disabled on my old machine? I only have one serial obviously, but it would be nice if Office could stay on both my Machines because I plan on making my current iMac into the "family computer" that everyone uses for everything, including Word processing.

This is a 2 part question :p

What about if I chose not to use migration assistant on my notebook and just wanted to do a clean install of everything. How would I go about installing Office on my new machine with my original serial? Is there like a disable button on my iMac so that my original serial becomes valid again for installing Office on a different computer?

Thanks!

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

If you have the Student and Teacher version of Office I believe it's designed for 3 installs using the same serial. So are entitled to install it on up to 3 Macs in the household.

3. angemon89 thread starter macrumors 68000

angemon89

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Depending on the version of Office, product keys for the amount of Macs that it can be installed on will be on the sleeve. For example, since the Student and Teacher version can be installed on up to 3 Macs it will ship with 3 product keys on the sleeve. If you only see 1 product key with Expression pack then only it's licensed for use on only 1 Mac.