Migration assistant and time machine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by smwatson, Feb 19, 2009.

1. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

I'm trying to use migration assistant with backups of my old Macbook, but when I get to the "Select machine" screen it finds nothing. The new Macbook recognizes the HD and the fact it has 400GB of data on it. Any help?

2. smwatson thread starter macrumors 6502a

smwatson

Ok so minor progress.

Now I can right-click Time Machine icon in the dock and when browsing Time Machine on another disk I can see my backups, but it won't let me restore... This is a bit temperamental aswell, I'm beginning to fear the external Hard Drive might be at fault. Which would be a nightmare.

Tried phoning Applecare, but got to a useless plank at an Indian call-centre who's only help was "Is it plugged in" before disappearing for 10 minutes to find a senior agent or something. Pathetic.

Anywho, I shall continue in the morning... Any help is appreciated..

3. smwatson thread starter macrumors 6502a

smwatson

Update:

I'm using Disk Utility to Restore the Time Machine backups onto a different external HD that in theory isn't broken...

So hopefully I will be able to use that one to get my computer back. Hopefully.

4. smwatson thread starter macrumors 6502a

smwatson

External HD is f*cked.

So I've lost everything basically.

Time to start again...

5. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Sorry mate :(

You've just found out the hard way that you need 2 backup devices.

Once your old Macbook went, your backup then became your only copy. At that point you should have backed it up.

First rule of backups - always test the backup works.

I got given a 10 year old Windows 98 PC the other day that wouldn't boot. Owner wanted it fixed and upgraded to Windows XP!
    Turned out the HD was f**ked, and surprise surprise it'd never been backed up in 10 years. Oh dear.

PS try Data Rescue on the drive.

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I prefer testdisk as in the past it has recovered more files then the other software solutions out there.

7. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Thanks for that, I've had good results with Data Rescue TWO!!! ;) but I'll surely try testdisk out. I have a FAT32 drive with a hosed FAT so will give it a whirl.