Migration assistant: Can I safely format my old HDD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Alimanek, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Alimanek macrumors newbie

Hello there,

I've just switched from HDD to SSD on my Mid 2009 Macbook pro. In addition I swapped my superdrive with the HDD mentioned above.
    Everything went fine, easy peasy. I used the Migration Assistant to transfer the data between the drives, successfully.

However, upon checking I noticed that my new SSD drive has 101GB used, while old HDD 108GB.
    My questions are:
    Where is the 7GB and what it might be?
    Are these just some rubbish files and can I just format HDD without worries of losing files?
    How can I check what has been left on HDD?

PS. I have Time Machine backup and Super Duper clone on an external drive just in case. I decided to use MA, because I made a clean Mavericks install on the SSD and heard that it is better to use MA in this case, because it doesn't transfer rubbish files.

I would be very thankful for any answers,
    BR
    Alex

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It may be caches and other system files, including hidden files. If Migration Assistant ran successfully, it's unlikely that any of your user files are left behind.

3. Alimanek thread starter macrumors newbie

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

My best advice before the reinstall try the free program EtreCheck and run it. Whatever shows up in RED the program will show the path to the incompatible file/service to delete it manually. Then reboot to clear these incompatible running services from running.