Migration Assistant: Can the Destination Mac Sleep?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by blue2noise, Jun 15, 2012.

1. blue2noise macrumors regular

Hello everyone,

I just bought a new MacBook Air and I am running Migration Assistant via ethernet from my old MacBook Pro. Both are running Lion.

Since the migration assistant started instantly the very first time i booted the Air, there was no boot to Lion to disable the sleep feature. Now i have a 20 hour remaining time (I know that's not accurate) but the destination computer keeps going to sleep. I have to hit the space bar to wake it. The source computer is never sleeping, as it is plugged in and all set to "never".

Is this going to cause a problem? I can't see how Apple would let this much of an oversight slide, so I'm hopeful that the destination's sleep state is not affecting it. Looks like there's a very long way to go.

Thanks for any input.

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Are you sure that migration is taking place? I would have thought that the fact that the Air was receiving data would have prevented it from sleeping.

3. Burrel macrumors regular

I'm having a real dilemma here. I started the migration assistant about 3 hours ago from my Windows laptop to my new MBP, initially just over wireless, as recommended by the Apple staff. Then after noticing a lack of movement I decided to plug an ethernet cable in the two laptops. There's about 190gb to move and only a couple of mm have moved on the first folder (music).
    I'm supposed to catch my train to London in half an hour where I will be staying and working during the week, and so I'm wondering if it's ok to click the red X to stop the migration?

Surely it should have moved a lot more than it has done in the 3 hours it's been going for? I could imagine that if I left here at home that when I'm back from London on Friday it would have just about finished.

Please can someone give me some advice?