Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blue2noise

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Hello everyone,

I just bought a new MacBook Air and I am running Migration Assistant via ethernet from my old MacBook Pro. Both are running Lion.

Since the migration assistant started instantly the very first time i booted the Air, there was no boot to Lion to disable the sleep feature. Now i have a 20 hour remaining time (I know that's not accurate) but the destination computer keeps going to sleep. I have to hit the space bar to wake it. The source computer is never sleeping, as it is plugged in and all set to "never".

Is this going to cause a problem? I can't see how Apple would let this much of an oversight slide, so I'm hopeful that the destination's sleep state is not affecting it. Looks like there's a very long way to go.

Thanks for any input.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Are you sure that migration is taking place? I would have thought that the fact that the Air was receiving data would have prevented it from sleeping.

Burrel

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2012
Birmingham, England
I'm having a real dilemma here. I started the migration assistant about 3 hours ago from my Windows laptop to my new MBP, initially just over wireless, as recommended by the Apple staff. Then after noticing a lack of movement I decided to plug an ethernet cable in the two laptops. There's about 190gb to move and only a couple of mm have moved on the first folder (music).
I'm supposed to catch my train to London in half an hour where I will be staying and working during the week, and so I'm wondering if it's ok to click the red X to stop the migration?

Surely it should have moved a lot more than it has done in the 3 hours it's been going for? I could imagine that if I left here at home that when I'm back from London on Friday it would have just about finished.

Please can someone give me some advice?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.