Migration assistant could not create user, only transfers some things

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by OUChevelleSS, Apr 2, 2013.

1. OUChevelleSS macrumors newbie

I had to replace my HDD as part of a recall, and I thought it a great time to upgrade to ML since everything would be fresh. I previously had Lion.

I installed and I did not use set-up assistant, but rather migration assistant, from my time machine back-up.

I had a conflict with my user name, since I used the same name as the account on TM (I didn't know I shouldn't do this when I started). I renamed and began transferring everything with migration assistant.

A few hours later, I had an error that talked about incompatible software, as well as it not being able to create a username, 2013-04-02 2:38AM +0000 [my name].

It looks like my wife's account transferred flawlessly, but mine was wacky. It transferred my application folder, but that was it. It transferred all of my files into different user folders in the HDD (which seems now hidden by default in ML). I had to delete two of them, because it was taking up huge amounts of space on my HDD without my knowing.

In any case, I feel somewhat comfortable with just manually dragging over my desktop, documents, music, photos, etc from the back-up onto my account. Since all my apps are there, I don't really care too much about settings.

I guess I'm just curious though, what went wrong? Is there anything else I need to look out for since this didn't really go through like it was supposed to? Thank you.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It sounds to me like all this is related to that first import with the account already in existence.

Here is what I would do. Create a new admin account called "temp" and login to that account. While in that account, delete both your and your wife's account. Then run Migration Assist again from within the temp account.

When it is done, logout of temp and into your real account, then delete the tempo account.

3. OUChevelleSS thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, thanks for the reply and advice, Weaselboy.

I think that after manually transferring everything, except for some widget data, I've got everything I need. Do you think I need to worry about missing something by manually dragging things off the TM back-up? I've got my pics, music, desktop items, and docs, so I can't think of anything else.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you got all your data, you should be good. The rest is just settings etc that you will need to reconfigure.