Migration Assistant created too many 'Users', how to consolidate into 1 ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stikygum, Oct 5, 2012.

1. stikygum macrumors newbie

I recently upgraded my Macbook Pro and brought applications and all other data from my old to my new MBP. I wanted to keep the same User name, so I had to rename myself (the user) on the first MBP. Then I used migration assistant to copy over my data to my new MBP, but it created multiple users. (So both users are me) User 1 has my desktop and Safari bookmarks the way I want it, but some of the applications to authenticate properly. I don't know why. User 2 has a basic desktop layout and no previous settings brought over, but the applications work like normal.

What I want to do is have the layout of User 1, but be able to use my applications (already authenticated) like User 2. I could even redo Migration Assistant and bring everything back over again if need be. I just only want one User though. In other words I want the way everything is on my old MBP to just move to my new one without creating multiple users. Any way to do this?

2. stikygum thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm guessing maybe the best thing to is to just do a clean install of Snow Leopard and then just transfer the information over after that. I'm going to have to order the SL disc to do that though. Wish there was an easier way to just consolidate the multiple accounts into one with the same info.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Why not

1. Create new account XYZ
    2. Delete other accounts (if info is already on your old computer)
    3. Use migration assistant
    4. Delete account XYZ