Migration Assistant - Dell to MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by poppe, May 22, 2007.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Hello,

I was wondering if you all could help me out. My parents just got a MBP and would love to take all their word documents/music/photos from there old Dell desktop computer to my mothers 15" MBP.

They tried using Migration Assistant and an ethernet cable, but the my father kept getting problems with the Dell computer. It asked for the DNS name, IP adress, Shared name, etc information of his computer. He put in several different variations of what he thought was right but had no luck.

Any advice? Should we use USB? The computer is about 5 years old so I'm not sure if it even has 2.0 USB. Please let me know what you all think?

Note: They were just going to burn all the music to CDs (dell doesn't have a DVD burner) but turns out my mom's computer has a faulty superdrive. He tried 8 different disks but to no luck each one got stuck and the only solution to ejecting them was to restart and hold down the trackpad button.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Migration Assistant is only for transferring between computers running OS X.

Here is Apple's guide for transferring files from a PC to a Mac.

3. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Cool thanks!!

4. NuDarwin macrumors member

NuDarwin

specifically, from machines running 10.2.8 or later to machines running 10.4 or later. what you might try is using a program called Detto Move2Mac. Its specifically deisgned to help you transfer your files from a PC to a Mac when you switch.

5. MagicUK macrumors regular

MagicUK

As a recent convert, I found just copying everything to a USB disk and then copying it to my home directory much easier.

Funny the iApps just seems to figure it all out :)

6. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

oh cool sounds good!!!!

7. eyebeaz macrumors 6502

A last resort if those options don't work is investing in an external hard drive.. it's a worthwhile investment IMO.

8. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Yeah I'll tell them to see what they think. I told them to get one but I don't know if they will.