Migration Assistant - does it work

Discussion in 'iMac' started by melrich, Dec 4, 2014.

1. melrich macrumors newbie

So I got my first Imac. Am using Migration Assistant to transfer data from PC to Imac, machines hooked up via ethernet.

But it keeps losing connection and I keep going back to square one. This has been going on for 5 hours - it gets about an hour into the migration, loses connection and I have to cancel and start again.

I have followed all the instructions to the letter. I thought Apple was supposed to just work but this is a piece of crap. Is there a trick to this I am missing?

2. t18c97 macrumors newbie

Didn't work for me when I tried to use it last week between a Windows Vista and iMac. Spent an hour on the phone with Apple and they couldn't fix it.

3. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Since It's just email and documents you are trying to bring over, it shouldn't be too hard to just transfer these over manually. You will probably wind up with better results. Also, trying to run the migration assistant across a LAN is problematic. I've had similar issues in the past with it.

4. melrich thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I think I will have to fall back on a manual transfer. Not such a hassle with docs, photos and movies but I thight migration assistant was going to pick up all my bookmarks and mail settings etc.