Migration assistant doesn't see time machine backup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KKh1972, Dec 27, 2009.

1. KKh1972 macrumors newbie

I am trying to reinstall clean Snow Leopard on my iMac. I made a partition on my iMac internal HD(on the same physical drive as a system) for Time machine and ran backup.
    After that I started up with Snow Leopard DVD, used Disk utility to clean old system partition and installed Snow Leopard.
    But when I run Mingration assistant, it doesn't see Time Machine disk to restore. I see TM partitioning in finder and it's look OK, but migration assistant doesn't recognize it.
    How I could force migration assitant to recognize backup? Or how I could migrate my setting from this backup?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Time Machine is meant to be on an external drive, not on the same physical internal HDD, as that defeats the purpose of TM, in case of an HDD failure.

I don't know a way though to restore from an internal TM backup such as yours. Have you tried looking for a solution via MRoogle?

3. KKh1972 thread starter macrumors newbie

I used TM only to transfer setting. It provides an option to create backup on th same physical drive. But Migration Assistant doesn't recognize it. I have looked through MRoogle, but haven't found solution how to force MA recognize this backup. I see only one solution - to crate account manualy and after that restore user folders through Time Machine

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

If you had used either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to create your backup, you wouldn't be having these problems.

I suggest you consider them in future, and relegate TM to the trash heap.

- John