Migration Assistant: Easy way to filter out junk?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TheAnswer, Jun 16, 2008.

1. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I'm in the process of finally buying a new computer. This will the my first computer where I can take advantage of the ability to use the Migration Assistant. That said, my current computer is 6 years old, and while I occassionally clear out the Library of preferences and application support files for apps I no longer use, I'd like to port my information over with the least amount of excess junk.

Does the migration assistant offer any filter as far as only porting over preferences/support files for specific apps?

If not, what's the safest/easiest way to get all my data over to the new computer (as far as Mail, iCal, Address Book, iLife and iWork apps go; I'm getting CS3.3 at the same time as the new computer, so no need to transfer the older CS prefs/support over)?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Nope, the migration assistant is very basic. For the cleanest migration, don't migrate any of your apps and reinstall them. You can specify to migrate only your data.

I believe there are third party apps for removing unused prefs, libraries, etc.