Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdfb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Hi, I am receiving in a couple days my new imac 24", 2.4ghz running leopard. I currently have an ibook g4 running tiger. I read on a different thread that migration assistant can be used using ethernet http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3322

Couple questions regarding this:
1. Can I simply connect both the ibook and imac directly with an ethernet cable and perform the migration assistant?
2. Will I need installation CD's or validation codes for programs on old mac? i.e. i have microsoft office, and cannot remember where i put the validation codes (bought it over 3.5 years ago).

Additionally, I have read on several threads regarding issues with the source account name and the target account name. What should the target account name be when performing migration assistant?
i.e.: source= john doe should target be john doe1 or john doe in order to recognize the same user?

Thanks for help and clarifications.

acaijoe

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2009
NJ
That stuff should all come over for you. I believe in the past I've had one or two apps that needed the codes, but for the most part everything carries over. You will have an option during the migration as to which users you want to pull over so usernames should not be an issue. The only time it will be is if you have the same account name on both computers, but even then I think it asks you if you want to replace.... Hope this helps

jdfb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
ethernet

Thanks for responding.

Can I just simply connect both the ibook and the imac directly to each other to perform the migration assistant?

Thanks,

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Thanks for responding.

Can I just simply connect both the ibook and the imac directly to each other to perform the migration assistant?

Thanks,

I think (??) the ports on Macs can be directly wires with a standard cable and they will just figure it out automatically. Most modern port do this now

At worst you will require a "crossover" cable. that cross over the recieve and transmit wire pairs. These cost only a few dollars.

Also you likelly already have an Ethernet switch if you have a router. most routers have built-in four port switches. If so simply plugh both computers into the swiitch using standard cables. This is the most common way to connect Ethernet, all devices plug into a switch.

jdfb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
I think (??) the ports on Macs can be directly wires with a standard cable and they will just figure it out automatically. Most modern port do this now

At worst you will require a "crossover" cable. that cross over the recieve and transmit wire pairs. These cost only a few dollars.

Also you likelly already have an Ethernet switch if you have a router. most routers have built-in four port switches. If so simply plugh both computers into the swiitch using standard cables. This is the most common way to connect Ethernet, all devices plug into a switch.

Thanks, for the info, I would definitely take into consideration and thought. Will reply on weds after everything goes smoothly (As I'm sure it will!)

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Additionally, I have read on several threads regarding issues with the source account name and the target account name. What should the target account name be when performing migration assistant?
i.e.: source= john doe should target be john doe1 or john doe in order to recognize the same user?

I also have a question along the same lines that I'm hoping someone can answer. I have to create a new user account when powering up my brand new MacBook so I can download the latest software dates before running the migration assistant. Once I do run the migration assistant, an additional user account is created on my MacBook that is an exact clone of the computer that I'm copying from (in this case it's my iMac).

How can I do this so there is only one account on my MacBook when all is said and done AND have it as a different name so it's not confused with the home folder on my iMac?

Please help!
Bryan

jw2002

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
How can I do this so there is only one account on my MacBook when all is said and done AND have it as a different name so it's not confused with the home folder on my iMac?

Just create a throw-away account like "temp" to tide things over during install. Then once your migration has successfully completed, log in to your regular account on the new machine, go to System Preferences -> Accounts and delete the account named temp. And then delete /Users/temp so you have nothing laying around from the throw-away account.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Just create a throw-away account like "temp" to tide things over during install. Then once your migration has successfully completed, log in to your regular account on the new machine, go to System Preferences -> Accounts and delete the account named temp. And then delete /Users/temp so you have nothing laying around from the throw-away account.

jw2002,

Thank you so much for trying to help me out here, and on the thread in the MacBook forum. I really appreciate it. I also feel bad, because I'm not quite getting what you're saying. I also have to preface this by explaining that I've had very little sleep in the last week and my brain is not firing on all cylinders. :rolleyes:

So here's the situation, simplified:

- I have to establish a user account when the MacBook is first brought to life and let's just say I name it "Jane".

- I perform a full migration from my iMac and it's forced into a second user account on the MacBook. Let's just call it "Bob".

- All I'm trying to do is populate the new MacBook (Jane) with the information (music, pictures, documents) and additional applications (Aperture, MS Office 2004, Flip4Mac) that's on my iMac (Bob), but it's forcing me into two separate user accounts.

- But when it's all said and done, Bob is populated with the iLife 08 applications from my iMac instead of the iLife 09 applications that are in the Jane account. I suppose I could re-install iLife 09 (again) under the Bob account, but that seems convoluted and messy since iLife 09 was on there to begin with. It also leaves me wondering what else may or may not have been overwritten.

- And I'm still left with one problem: so let's just say I delete the Jane account and reload Bob with iLife 09. I still want to change the name of the Bob account to Jane. But does that open me up to potential root directory issues?

Sigh. In the past, Apple has always made this easy. Now it is anything but. I've had my new MacBook for 3 days now, expended about 10 hours on it, and still don't have it in a useable state. It's starting to feel a lot like Windows. :D

Any help you, or anyone else can provide, is greatly appreciated!
Bryan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.