Migration Assistant for Fresh SL

Discussion in 'macOS' started by swmbuk, Aug 27, 2009.

1. swmbuk macrumors newbie

I was hoping to install a fresh copy of SL, and wanted to migrate what I needed from my Time Machine. I'm looking to only bring over Documents, Music, Photos, Address Book, Calendars and Bookmarks. After playing with Migration Assistant there is no option to transfer calendars, addresses or bookmarks. Does anyone know of a way to do this?

2. Lordedmond macrumors regular

Use mobile me works fine sync bookmarks mail accounts ect

you can try it for free for a limited time ;)

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Look to The Cloud

You can use Drop Box to sync files, FoxMarks to sync bookmarks (Safari & Firefox), Google Sync to sync iCal.

Also you could use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your data and then just copy it back once you've installed SL.

4. swmbuk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies guys, just experimented and found the export menus in ical, address book and safari. Other than my Keychain, I should be alright now!

5. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Just run an upgrade and you have it all minus the headache.

6. swmbuk thread starter macrumors newbie

I would but when I transferred to my new mac and used migration assistant it messed things up pretty bad and i had to fix them. After this I will be upgrading from then on.

I have noticed another issue, that Migration Assistant does not allow me to transfer my photos music and documents without transferring my user account. Anyway around this?

7. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Migration assistant is for moving from one machine to another, very different from doing an OS upgrade. In general, it's good to have a fresh copy of the OS for every major 10.x upgrade, but in this case I just don't feel it's necessary. I don't have any crazy haxies installed so I just did the upgrade route.

No beachballs or other weirdness. Everything seems OK.

8. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

It is a PITA that it won't merge existing accounts. I deselected the user account stuff and some of the other check boxes, because it will copy over kexts if you have 3rd party hardware.

For anything under the existing user account, I just copied the directory contents of each of the major directories (documents, music, etc.).

That worked, but for my main computer I'm going to just upgrade in place. There's an Engadget review that claims SL does an Archive and Install under the hood now, so it is a fresh copy anyway.