Migration assistant from 10.10.5 to 10.10.2

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Boldex, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Boldex macrumors newbie

Boldex

Hello ive read in a post that i would not be able to make a Migration assistant from a 10.10.5 MBA time machine backup to a new 10.10.2 rMBP
    So my question is, is it possible to boot up the new macbook pro and before the initial setup try to migrate everything with MA from a time machine backup made with a MBA with OSX 10.10.5 installed to a rMBP that as i read comes preinstalled with 10.10.2 OSX?

thankyou very much!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

FYI, you can run migration assistant at any time, it doesn't have to be at first boot. Just update the rMBP to the same version and you're good to go.

3. Boldex thread starter macrumors newbie

Boldex

Yes i can do that, but ive read it will give me a lot of permission issues if i make the MA after creating a user in the initial setup, so its a no go

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Here's the easy plan:
    Download the current Yosemite installer.
    Make a USB installer from that installer app, using one of the methods that you can find on the net.
    I like to use the good DiskMakerX utility for that, so you don't need to go into the terminal for any part of that.
    Boot your new rMBPro to the USB installer, get it all updated to 10.10.5 - and then you have no concerns about migrating from your Time Machine backup - and your new rMBPro will be fully up-to-date, with the possible exception of iTunes, and a couple of others. Easy for your App Store at that point - the major downloads would be installed then.

5. Boldex thread starter macrumors newbie

Boldex

Hi, thx for your reply, the problem is that in order tonhave a good migration assistant process it should be made before creating a user account in the new mac, so my quieston is, after i boot install osx from my usb, how will it be updates to 10.10.5? Do i need to create a user acct in my new machine and after that gomto mac appstore and update it? Or after boot install from usb it will automatically ask me to update it to 10.10.5 without the initial setup?
    The main thing here is to use migrstion assistsnt before the initial setup

Thank you!

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

I've never had issue with this and I have migrated quite a few times.

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If you download the Yosemite installer today, it WILL be 10.10.5
    create the bootable USB from that installer app.
    Boot to the USB on your new Mac. Choose the new Mac as the destination for the install, and it will update the system (before you have done ANYTHING to your new Mac) to 10.10.5
    When you restart the first time after the install, it will go into the new user setup, asking you if you want to use a Time Machine backup.
    That's your choice then...
    ... there you go!

8. Boldex thread starter macrumors newbie

Boldex

Hello! ok got it, so when i restart my rMBP after the 10.10.5 usb install will be the same as when i boot up the mac for the first time after unboxing it?

thank you!

9. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Migration Assistant will restore things just fine if the source and target user is the same. It will move the existing user files into a separate folder that you can delete afterwards.

That shouldn't be your real concern though. It should be the fact that you may try to restore a backup made with 10.10.5 (newer), onto a system running 10.10.2 (older.)

That scenario is typically not supported. So, upgrade the 10.10.2 to same version or newer than the 10.10.5, and run Migration Asistant, keeping in mind the first bit mentioned above.

10. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Yes
    And, you could go the extra step of removing the existing install by erasing the drive in Disk Utility before you start the install. If you haven't used the system at all, there's no reason for you NOT to do a completely fresh install of OS X. And, you have the advantage of a fully up-to-date, completely fresh install. And it goes straight into the new-user setup after the first restart...

11. Boldex thread starter macrumors newbie

Boldex

Great, im already downloading 10.10.5 (5.7gb) from the mac appstore in order to make the usb disk installer drive, after that i will erase the hd from my new rMBP and install 10.10.5, after i restart with the new installation i will go through the setup assistant and migrate everything from my external hard drive with my time machine backuo so my new mac will be the same as my old MBA... is that correct?

12. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Not quite.
    You won't need to "go through the setup assistant"
    It's only a step or two into the setup assistant, when it asks you about migrating from a Time Machine backup.
    And, then you are pretty much done (except for waiting :D )

13. Boldex thread starter macrumors newbie

Boldex

great then i will erase mac hd, install 10.10.5 from usb, and after restart mac will prompt me to migrate :)

on other thing, after migrating everything, will itunes copy its entire database too? i mean when i connect my iphone to my new mac will it recognize it as if it were my old mac and not asks me to erase the iphone as it if were a new computer?

thank you very very much for all your help!

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Like I said in your other thread, all of this is a complete waste of time. You can migrate from a 10.10.5 TM backup to a 10.10.2 new machine with no problems. Then just run software update afterwards.

15. Boldex thread starter macrumors newbie

Boldex

Will TM migrate microsoft office and its data with no issues and no necessity to reenter de s/n? Any experince with that?

Thank you!

16. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Migration moves your settings, too - so, yes MS Office will also migrate fine.
    I have done that successfully.
    But, I also reinstall Office, using the original installer, after a major move like that, just so I am sure it is properly installed. I suspect the reinstall that I do is not really necessary.

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It will bring MS Office and all data over, but my experience has been Office will detect the new hardware UUID and require reentry of the registration information. Adobe apps are bad about this also.

No matter what migration method you use, you will have this issue.