Migration Assistant from 2013 MacBook Pro to 2016 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jonasty, Nov 13, 2016.

1. jonasty macrumors newbie

Sorry if this has been answered before, but for those upgrading to the new 2016 MacBook Pro (USB-C/TB3 ports only), how are you migrating your information to your new MacBook Pro? I'm upgrading from my 2013 15" MacBook Pro Retina. I would like to do this with as little adapters as possible, so I was wondering if it was possible to do this via a USB-3 to USB-C cable (is that even available?). I just think it would be ridiculous to have to buy a TB3 to TB2 adapter and cable just to do this when that would be the first and only times I would ever use them.

I think I'm just going to be moving over my applications this time instead of all files, so maybe even doing a Wi-Fi transfer will be bearable.

Thanks for any input

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Yes, those cables exist.

I'm using my time machine backup with a USB A to C adapter.

3. CharlesRobot macrumors newbie

I'll be moving from a 2008 MBP. I've never done this before, but I am certain I don't want to just copy over my entire data as it is. I want to take this as an opportunity to only copy the files I need, individually and take a few weeks to clean out the mess in 7+ years of data collection :)
    What'd be the best method for this? Can I actually connect the two machines with a USB-C to USB 2.0 cable and copy files that way? How will this work? Will they just show up as Drives in Finder or do I have to activate access somehow?
    Thanks for your help :)

4. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Yes, you can use a USB A to c data cable and use target disk mode. https://support.apple.com/kb/PH19021?locale=en_US

5. CharlesRobot macrumors newbie

Ah never heard of that. Thanks!
    In the support-page it says thunderbolt or firewire, but not USB though. Will this work with USB as well? I do have a firewire port. But buying a USB C to USB cable would make much more sense for me, since I could continue to use this for other purposes...

6. Cougarcat macrumors 604

That's a good point, actually. Looks like only the rMB and newer supports USB Target Disk Mode.

Do you not have an external Time Machine drive? With an a to c adaptor, that's the easiest solution.

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

If you're going to do this over a few weeks you might be better off cloning or copying to an external drive first.

8. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

Migration Assistant over wi-fi. Works like a charm. Your new computer will be set up just like your old one.