Migration Assistant from another MBPr?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Imola Ghost, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I upgraded my 13" MBPr to a 15" MBPr and before I traded in the 13" I backed up using Time Machine.

I got the 15" up and running and used the Migration Assistant but I'm a little confused as to what to do. During the initial opening sequence it said that the migration assistant could not migrate the data because there was an exact same user name as the backed up data.

On my new 15" laptop I use the same name as my previous laptop but not sure what I should have done. Now I've got 2 admin users and the one won't let me delete the user because its greyed out.

Any ideas to get around this?

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I had the same/similar when I used MA from my old (t)rusty PB to a 2012 Mini, but I do not have the 2 Users (I think, not sure), I must have chosen the other Option (Can't recall the procedure) and got my stuff in the normal user, BUT, I ran into permissions problems, normally if there is one Admin User on OS X the user is 501, I am pretty positive I had 502 as well.

I thin,if I had 2 User Accounts) I logged in as root, moved all the stuff over to the other User (501) and then repaired it manually with terminal.

I will not ever use Migration Assistant again, reason is I got a lot of PPC code into the System and had to clean it manually.
    Next time I just do everything manual, or use Carbon Copy Cloner, it's better than MA but you need to know what you are doing, if not be careful, you could potentially loose files.

3. mfram macrumors 65816

The design of the "Migration Assistant" is such that you migrate your data over before creating an account. If you do it in the wrong order, it gets confused. One option is to re-install the new computer from scratch and do the MA again. But this time, migrate the data immediately during the install. Don't create any accounts first.

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

How do you use Migration Assistant without a User Account.:confused:

Why is Migration Assistant on the Mac then.:confused:

IMO migration Assistant sucks, DIY is a better way although more complicated.

5. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

Migration Assistant works fine *without* having to complete the OS X setup - but SETUP Assistant is better.

When you first get a new Mac (or when you restore it back to "as new" condition) you can first boot the Mac up and choose the option to restore from a Time Machine Backup - this will invoke Setup Assistant and guide you through the process.

Have a read of this article, as it explains the process much better:

http://pondini.org/OSX/SetupLion.html

(I used this to 'restore' my new MBP from a Time Machine backup of my old MBP - the process took a couple of hours, but when complete, I had a fully working MBP with all my data and settings).

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Ah, forgot about that, I only saw this shortly in the shop where I bought my Mini.

Have to disagree here, I got lots of trouble with it and won't be using it again.
    Seems I am not the only one considering how many people complain about it
    here on MR.