Migration Assistant from Lion to Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BreakGuy, Feb 9, 2012.

1. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

After ending up with corrupted system files on my MBP (running 10.6.8), I decided to migrate using Migration Assistant, my files and applications along with system settings over to the iMac running Lion (10.7.2) and all went well. No problems there.

Now, having reinstalled Snow Leopard on the MBP and downloaded the updates for it, I'm having grave difficulty figuring out how to get my files and what not back. I thought I would simply reverse the process and use Migration Assistant to migrate from the iMac to the MBP, alas neither computer can recognise the other. I've tried using wireless, ethernet network and a direct ethernet link, all without success.

I need my files back on my MBP. What do I have to do?

2. ancelrick macrumors member

ancelrick

3. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

4. aristobrat macrumors G5

I'm guessing that Migration Assistant can't migrate from a newer OS to an older OS. While it's probably not an issue for third-party applications and your documents, you might find that the Lion version of Address Book and iCal updated the format of your data, and the older Snow Leopard version of those apps can't read it.

You can putting your data on an external drive (by using Time Machine, SuperDuper, or Carbon Copy Cloner) and seeing if Migration Assistant on your MBP will see it when that drive is directly plugged in.

If Migration Assistant still won't do it, you could then manually copy (drag 'n drop) your files from the external back to your MBP. For your Documents, Movies, Music folders, that's easy. For your Apps folder, it's hit or miss. For your Library folder (that has all of your preferences), that's difficult.

Can you run Lion on your MBP?

5. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I don't have an external HDD lying around. I've never gotten around to getting one. Excuses, excuses. :rolleyes:

I'd rather not manually copy my files over, as I do need my applications back as well. I guess my only option is to upgrade again to Lion (I never liked it the first time I used it) and stick with it.