Migration Assistant from Tiger to Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GimmeSlack12, Oct 17, 2007.

1. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

So I will be buying a new iMac in the next month or two once I secure the funds but I have started to wonder about Migrating my current user profile (10.4.10) to a system that has Leopard on it.

When you use the Migration assistant it copies everything over, including the OS version. So that would, I assume, delete Leopard from the new computer. Once this is done I suppose I would use the Leopard DVD's to do an archive and install. Does this seem like the way it will have to work? I mean, I don't really mind, but it'd be nice if there was another method that wouldn't require the re-installation of Leopard.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No, thankfully it doesn't copy the system. It pretty much just copies your Home folder(s) and apps. If possible, use it only for basic data like documents, pictures and music. Using it for apps and settings can get messy, especially if you're going from one version of an OS to another. :)

3. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Good call. I really am looking forward to running Leopard with all my same apps, and settings. But most importantly that Quicksilver runs on Leopard.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well manually reinstall your apps from their original sources and you really should be fine. :)

5. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Eh, I'll sift through them as they start breaking. I assume 10.5 compatibility will have some bugs to get out of the way too. No need to find the issues, I'll let them find me.

6. DamoRed macrumors member

This seems an ideal thread to ask, does everything remain on the old computer, as it was? I too am getting an iMac in the next few weeks and hope to use migration to migrate over the apps and folders. I do however, want to keep my current system running as a back up until I know that everything is running ok with Leopard.

Am I to presume that it just allows it to copy everything over and the old system runs as normal?

Thank you

Damo

7. Ish macrumors 68010

Ish

Help!

I've just been going through this route today. Bought new mac yesterday which had Tiger installed. Put in Leopard upgrade from box. Today I bought a firewire and used migration assistant to move stuff over but couldn't see any way to select what was brought over. I clicked on the HD icon which was the only thing showing and it started moving stuff automatically. The apps have come over but I haven't found anything else yet. The folders such as the home folder, iTunes, iPhoto etc are empty.

Maybe I should just scrap the whole thing and start again. How do I restore everything to the 'just out of the box' state? Someone else said they'd migrated and it was all ready to go afterwards. What did I do wrong? :confused:

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yep. Migration Assistant will copy your files and settings across but will leave them untouched on the original machine.

No idea what happened here mate, but you can restore everything by booting from the OSX discs (hold C at startup with the disc inserted) and reformatting before reinstalling the OS. :)

9. DamoRed macrumors member

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No worries mate. Manually dragging files from Target Disk Mode to a different/new computer will also copy them rather than move them, and therefore leave them untouched on the original machine too. :)

11. yinhong macrumors newbie

What if the program you're transferring is not leopard compatible?

12. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Then it won't work when you run it in 10.5. But its no big deal really, new software fixes will be occurring in time.
    Ultimately there is nothing to worry about if a prog isn't compatible, nothing bad will happen. Just wait until it is.

13. yinhong macrumors newbie

Yeh, i'm surprise by how transparent everything is in OSX. The transferring of data and applications including their settings was so so easy compared the amazingly confusing, mind-numbing and cumbersome boot camp windows reinstallation.

14. BigPrince macrumors 68020

since i was too lazy to do a proper back up, I installed leopard on an external drive and migrated everything over. Once I checked it out and was happy, I erased my internal drive and installed leopard and migrated from the external to the internal.

woot it was so easy.

15. LUkeyH macrumors newbie

Migration from tiger to leopard problems!!

Hiya, got the new macbook today with leopard installed, my old macbook was the previous model with tiger installed, i just cant get past the screen where u enter the passwords! Anyone help?

16. n1mie macrumors newbie

Yeah. Um. I just received my $3k laptop and it's worthless to me because the stinking Migration Assistant won't go past the password screen. I start up MA on the Leopard (new) machine. I startup MA on the Tiger (old) machine. I have them both join a wireless network, select to/from, enter the password from the new on the old, then it comes up with it again, then it essentially locks until it times out.

WHAT A BIG PILE OF JUNK!!!! Guess it's back the hey day of manually copying, manually reinstalling, manually everything. Thanks a lot Apple.

17. matblack macrumors newbie

Wait! Before you scrap that 3K notebook... try connecting the two via FireWire (as instructed no?) The old one gets rebooted in target disc mode and the new one picks up the transfer. I don't think that kind of thing will work over a wireless network.

OR just send me the 3K piece of junk and I'll make sure it is properly disposed of! :D

18. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Yeah, use Firewire. I kind of want to call this failure about 99% User Error, 1% Apple.

19. dopey220 macrumors 6502

dopey220

I'm having the same problem. I'd say that it's certainly reasonable to be angry with Apple in this case; I'm trying to do MA between my mom's old eMac and her new MacBook with ethernet, and it's just not having it. I don't have a firewire cable, and I really don't want to:

A) Go to Best Buy right now and buy one for $30

B) Buy one online for $5 and have to wait for it to ship.

... BTW, if I were to decide to acquire a firewire cable to do this, I very highly doubt it would ever be used again. Looks like I'm going to have to copy everything over manually with an external drive. And the eMac only has USB 1.1. This is going to be lots of fun. *rolls eyes*

See the annoyance here?

Edit: The eMac's USB ports don't put out enough juice to power the drive. So it looks like the files are staying put in the meantime. Wonderul.

20. Dr.Bendo macrumors newbie

Ethernet not working on Tiger to Leopard migration

I've tried connecting my iBook G4 with Tiger to my new MacBook Pro with Leopard, followed the directions from the Migration Assistant and have had no luck. When the G4 restarts (holding down 'T') and shows the firewire icon on the screen, the MacBook never recognizes the computer. I've down this multiple times now. Likewise, when I've tried the network migration over the wireless connection, the G4 never manages to connect to the MacBook after I enter the password.