Migration Assistant help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kafkaesque, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Kafkaesque macrumors newbie

Hello!
    New to this impressive forum. Please pardon my writing if it may be confusing. English is not my native language.

I'd appreciate some help regarding the migration assistant. Just recieved my first iMac, but I have been a very pleased mac user for over 4 years.

Through wifi I transferred programs from my old Macbook onto the iMac - it all went fine but took a good while. I was planning on starting fresh with the new computer so I never bothered with transferring the rest from the laptop. Starting to think that might have been a mistake since it would be convenient to just work with what I'm already used to. Especially to get easy access to all of my photos

Is it too late to migrate everything onto the new machine? Already created an account with the same name as on the laptop.
    I read that I can create a new admin account, delete the other (same named as on the laptop), and start the migration. Should I choose to rename the account transferred, replace it or the third option which says to not transfer the account at all?

Any reasons for not start all over with a reinstall and using the assistant on first boot?

Thank you!

2. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Yes, wifi will be slow. If possible, use ethernet. It will be much faster.

As for transferring everything...

1. On the iMac, create an admin account with a different name.
    2. Begin transferring everything using Migration assistant.
    3. When done, make sure your old account has admin privileges.
    4. Login to transferred account.
    5. (Optional) Delete the admin account you created in step #1.

Done.

If you haven't experienced any instabilities, I don't think you need to do a fresh install.