Migration Assistant / iPhone Sync question...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MattSepeta, Jul 12, 2011.

1. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Quick question...

I recently upgraded Macs. I have never needed to use migration assistant before, I like doing a fresh start and only installing and adding exactly what I want on a new computer. I did this again, not really taking into account the fact that I have an iPhone, iPad, as well as an itunes library on an external HD.

Question: Can I use Migration Assistant to transfer everything over to the new iMac without disrupting or changing how I have it currently configured? The itunes is empty still, so that is not an issue. I just want to transfer over all my itunes as it was on the old iMac, and not muck up the syncing of the phone.

How do I handle this given that the library was held on an external drive? Will the iphone backups and whatnot be on the external drive as well?

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

When I changed my iMac I transferred everything across to the new one with Migration Assistant. Everything on my new iMac was exactly as before - iphone, web, email settings etc.

3. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

What if I don't want everything to be as it "used" to be? I just want itunes to be as it was before.

4. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Then don't use Migration Assistant.

In your original post you said "Can I use Migration Assistant to transfer everything over to the new iMac without disrupting or changing how I have it currently configured?".