Migration Assistant is being a PITA

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dukebound85, Aug 13, 2010.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I am trying to transfer info from my mb to my new mbp via migration assistant. I have connected the computers via ethernet cable YET it keeps saying the network connection has failed

What am I doing wrong??

2. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

I've used MA recently and found it to be a little flaky via ethernet. I had intermittent problems like this and ended up using Firewire.

I'm assuming that Firewire isn't an option in this case because of the old MB.

However, have you tested the ethernet cable or tried another one? You shouldn't need a crossover cable with modern Macs (although it won't matter if you do use one).

You could also try connecting via a router.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The most common mistake when trying to do a network migration is having another active interface like AirPort or a mobile broadband (3G) connection on. Turn AirPort off on both systems before attempting migration. You likely have to complete Setup Assistant, creating an account that has a different username than the one on your MacBook before you can access the AirPort icon. Also is your MacBook up to date?

4. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

Yup, I did that (turn wifi off) and tried a different ethernet cable and it did work....sorta

Now the mbp had all my info BUT upon restarting, I get a kernal panic....and I don't have the restore dvds as the university gave me the computer (at which my advisor said I could treat it as my persoanl computer,etc)

Now I am kinda stuck with this new mbp that can't load and the SL disk I have is from launch and doesnt have the drivers for these new machines

Dagnabit! what to do