Migration Assistant Issue & Time Machine

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by andy8, Mar 24, 2016.

1. andy8 macrumors regular

Hi All,

I purchased a new Macbook Pro (2016 model) and I have an older Macbook Pro.
    I would like to use a Time Machine backup from my older Macbook in order
    to setup my new Macbook Pro. I have upgraded both the Mac's to El Capitan
    and I have a fully backed up Time Machine.

However, when I connect the External Hardisk (with the complete Time Machine backup)
    to my newer Macbook Pro (2016) and then as I start Migration Assistant application;
    the External Hardisk with the Time Machine backup never gets detected on the new Macbook and
    the spinning wheel keeps going and going - never ending.

Could someone please kindly help me by pointing me as to what may have gone wrong ?
    Due to this issue, I'm unable to use my new Macbook Pro for the past few weeks.

I would really appreciate some help on this.

2. andy8 thread starter macrumors regular

Is the issue really difficult to resolve or am I missing some important information from my question ?

3. richard2 macrumors regular

richard2

I don't know what the cause of your problem is, but if you want me to help you manually restore your data, then send me a private message. :)

4. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

Have not ever used Migration Assistant, so, no direct answer.

Can try this: from the Time Machine menu bar icon, Option-click it and select the menu option "Browse Other Backup Disks..." to access the previous Mac's backups. See if you can restore your Documents, Pictures, Music, etc. Maybe one folder at a time. You might see one item or more hang, hence, that item is maybe corrupt/has issues.

I'd do Library last, just because if something is squirrelly with a configuration file, just adds more debugging to fix while also trying to restore data (ie. Get the actual data files on first, deal with the fine tweeking second).

5. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

In your situation I would:

1. Connect the TM external to the new MBP
    2. Boot the new MBP to its Recovery Partition, (by restart holding cmd+R)
    3. Select Reinstall OSX
    4. At end of install process it will ask if you want to import from another disk, another mac, TM etc
    5. Select the TM drive

This uses the Setup Assistant which is similar to Migration Assistant but imports your users direct from old mac without having to create a temporary user on the new mac first.

A variation on the above would be to connect your old mac directly to your new mac and select the old mac at step 5. I have not personally done this but pretty sure it is possible.

This is a fantastic resource on Time Machine etc. Getting a bit old now as the creator James Pond died a year or two ago, but mostly still valid.