Migration Assistant--move just some items?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hoffmant, Jul 20, 2009.

1. hoffmant macrumors member

Is it possible to use migration assistant to move only some items--files, apps, etc.--or is it an all or nothing thing?

I want to get a new MBP & give my BlackBook to my wife. I'd like to move my files & apps, of course, but there are some apps--games, Office--that I'm sure she would use. I'd prefer to leave these installed for her, rather than reinstalling them.

Thanks!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

Are you asking him or telling him with sarcasm? I am just curious because it's unclear.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

No, that was: "you can move specific folders via migration assistant." I'm not sure whether individuals app can be moved, but at some point with something like that an external hard drive might just make more sense.

5. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

Ah - got it. I agree with the external drive, if that is an option.

6. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

The Migration Assistant doesn't "move" anything. Your files, apps, settings are copied from the old machine to the new.

The Assistant gives you some options as to what is migrated, but in your case I'd copy everything to the new machine, then go to the old one and remove what it doesn't need.

7. hoffmant thread starter macrumors member

That makes perfect sense. Thanks. I figured it'd be a relatively simple answer, but searching the forum proved fruitless.

What about licenses? I assume they'll need to be reentered on the new computer & deleted or deactivated on the old one?

Thanks in advance.

8. pdjudd macrumors 601

Not necessarily. Some programs will require nothing, others will require more work. It depends on how the programs handle registration.