Migration Assistant on Mac OS X Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by calipolo99, Mar 2, 2012.

1. calipolo99 macrumors newbie

i just got a new Macbook Pro and would like to move files and folders from my old Macbook Pro. I understand I can use Migration Assistant to move all of this, but am curious about what is included if I allow it to move "Users", "Applications", and "Settings". Does anybody know what each of these will bring onto my new Mac? Will it replace my new versions of iLife with the old ones from my old mac, or will it just duplicate the programs? Same goes of Office? Also, what settings will it import? Thanks for the help.

2. calipolo99 thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand that you can choose what you want to import. But which settings will it import if i decide to import settings? What does importing a user account include? Will it duplicate my iLife applications if I import Applications?

3. Cougarcat macrumors 604

It imports your system settings--anything in system prefs. I don't think it'll import iLife if it's an older version. It certainly won't overwrite the newer one.

A user acct is everything in your users folder--docs, iTunes and iPhoto libraries, user preferences for apps.