Migration Assistant or not?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by richard13, Nov 29, 2013.

1. richard13 macrumors 6502a

Normally when I do a clean install I wipe the storage, do the install, create a new account with my name, and manually pull over my data from my Time Capsule.

But this time I thought I'd use the Migration Assistant during install to just pull my stuff from the Time Capsule. That way, I thought, everything would be back in it's place and no hassles of re-installing software, etc.

When everything was done I logged in and was prompted several times for my system password for certain things, my iCloud credentials for other things. I'm a little worried that things either didn't go as planned or I brought back some cruft that the system is now trying to reconcile. One other thing of note is that my last backup was on a Mountain Lion system and this one has Mavericks.

Is this anything to be worried about? Or should I just wipe again and start over with my usual method?

Thanks!

2. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I just did a install using the initial setup with migration assistant from my Time Machine. Same thing happened to me with all the prompts for passwords and iCloud credentials.

Good news is everything is running better than ever. I've been using my new iMac for two days now and I am amazed at how well everything is running and how easy it was to set it up. The iCloud keychain which didn't work on my old iMac is now working perfectly !

3. ender78 macrumors 6502

I will be doing a clean install. This machine has been kicking around for 5 years so I think it is time for a fresh start.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You are fine and those PW prompts are normal. What is happening is iCloud sees you are on new hardware and just wants to verify it is okay to access your iCloud data from that new Mac.

You can just continue with the same backup set you were using with no problem if you like.

5. liquorice macrumors regular

liquorice

I used it when i got my iMac to import from my PC, unfortunately it tried to put everything on the SSD :(