Migration Assistant or Super Duper

Discussion in 'macOS' started by The Fog, May 30, 2008.

1. The Fog macrumors newbie

Hello! I had a G4 MDD that originally had Jaguar, then upgraded (not clean install) to Panther, then Tiger. I then bought a PPC G5 and right out of the box used Migration assistant to move all my files from the G4 to the G5. I then upgraded to Leopard (again no clean install, just an upgrade.)

Well after all this time the G5 has run well, a glitch here and there nothing major... but I really wanted to do a clean install of Leopard. I made a bootable clone onto an external using Super Duper. I Zeroed out the G5 HD and did a fresh install of Leopard used the combo 10.5.3 update and that's where I'm at.

I was hoping for some suggestions on how to move all my data back, apps, network settings, music, movies, etc. Also, the external clone is 10.5.2.

If I use the smart update on Super-Duper to clone back to the G5 will it copy back all of the fat and will it overwrite some of the new "clean" OS? Thank you in advance for any suggestions, I'm out of my element in the technical end of this stuff.

2. chscag macrumors 65816

SuperDuper will not overwrite newer files. Read the help file and instructions carefully before you attempt to restore.

Regards.