Migration Assistant Preparation?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jimleszczynski, May 21, 2010.

1. jimleszczynski macrumors regular

jimleszczynski

I am new to the Migration Assistant app.

I'm trying to prepare my macbook for its migration to the new 27 iMac quad core. However, I don't want all the crap from the original macbook to come along with it. (old pref files, certain apps, caches, etc.) What can I do in advance, or rather, what should I do in advance to to prepare for the transition.

Any helpful hints, successes, or things that have worked well would be greatly appreciated.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I would just transfer files like music, pictures and documents. Don't worry about the files because most files need to be updated for Snow Leopard. You can look at the Snow Leopard Compatibility chart to see what programs are compatible. Plus just write down serial numbers for your third party programs before you migrate to the new Mac system.

3. jimleszczynski thread starter macrumors regular

jimleszczynski

I'm already on snow leopard. so that shouldn't be a problem. Is it really necessary to write down serial keys for apps? shouldn't all that data transfer over? same goes for music and photos?

I was just under the impression that it was a pretty straight forward process.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

It is. However I wanted to save you from transferring all the little stuff that third part applications might not be compatible and you getting the latest greatest for the application and it might ask for a serial number. Using your previous serial numbers might save a lot of money when you get the updated programs.

Besides just transferring the music, pictures, and documents won't need serial numbers. Only the third party applications might need to have the serial number put back in when you download the 10.6 version of the program.