Migration Assistant Problem-Am I Doing Something Wrong?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Joeski, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Joeski macrumors member

I'm trying to transfer files from my old MacBook to my new MacBook Aluminum. I only want to transfer some things though, like my documents and especially my iTunes folder. I think I'm doing this right, but I don't know where my files are! Is there a specific folder they go into or something?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You can find them by just going into your home folder on the old computer.

For your iTunes stuff, just copy the contents of /Users/yourname/Music from the old computer into the same directory on the new computer. Similarly, your documents are located in /Users/yourname/Documents. You have to drag the contents rather than the folder itself because Mac OS X and especially Leopard is cranky about replacing those folders themselves.

If iTunes was running, restart it and you should have everything you need.

3. Joeski thread starter macrumors member

But I'm using the migration Assistant program, from my old MacBook to my new MacBook via ethernet cable. I looked all over, no luck.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Do you want to transfer your settings and stuff? If not, there's no reason to use Migration Assistant. It's just as easy to do it by hand.

5. Joeski thread starter macrumors member

Nope, just the files themselves. Can I connect thru ethernet? I know how to easily do all of this thru firewire & target mode, but alas, there's no firewire on the aluminums.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Sure. Just go into the sharing preference pane and enable file sharing on your old machine. It should immediately appear on your new machine. Just open a Finder window and it will appear in the left-hand sidebar under the "shared" heading.

7. Joeski thread starter macrumors member