Migration Assistant question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by keithano, Feb 27, 2011.

1. keithano macrumors member

Hi there, I just ordered a new macbook pro 15", and this is an upgrade for me from the first generation macbook (1.83 ghz core duo). I have used an external harddrive for time machine to back up the entire system, I am wondering if I can just migrate all the applications installed to the new computer, but not the entire OS with the user account?

I asked this because a little research from here found out that people would not recommend migrate the whole old system to the new one as it would slow it down, and also the build of the OSX is not matched, which means missing potentially new driver and hurt the performance of the new computer. Can I just run the start-up from the new mac, setup an account, and then migrate all the applications installed from the time machine to the new one?

Thanks.

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

You can use the migration Assitant to move the user's data to the New computer.
    You can directly connect the old Mac via FireWire to he new one. To enable this you have to boot the old Mac holding the T key, this is called Target Disk Mode. You will see your old Mac HDD in the new one as an external HDD.

3. MmmPancakes macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

Yes. You can just restore your new computer from your most recent Time Machine backup. I did this two days ago.

In my case, it created a new user (my migrated data). I simply made that the default user and deleted the newer profile.Voila -- all my music, data, settings, pictures and apps were in place.

I did have to reinstall Microsoft Office 2008 from the CDs, though. Not sure why.

4. keithano thread starter macrumors member

5. t0rr3s macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

I didn't have to resintall Office 11 but Autocad 11 needed to be reactivated. A but of a PITA but everything else works :)

6. superericla macrumors 6502

What a coincidence! I'm soon going to be moving from a 1st generation MacBook to a MacBook Pro 15" as well.

7. mac jones, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

mac jones macrumors 68040

Your joking right :D

As just about everyone here is migrating as we speak. ;) me for one.

note: I ran into a snag with migration. It seems that an IO driver was crashing the migration (and hence the install).

The migration would crash, and then the install now would be bad. It says right on the screen what is causing the kernel panic, which in this case is a midi IO driver (Midi-over-lan).

So I took out the new macbook HD ,put it into a USB enclosure, and it does boot from another Mac, just not these new machines.

I'll bet it's the Thunderbolt port that's hanging the IO driver.

I solved the issue by uninstalling the driver, but im sure that if I try to insall this app on the new machine it will crash.

So this port may cause some incompatibilities .

I've never seen this before and i've done this quite a few times over the years.

Update: I'm doing a fresh migration now. It says " 16hrs 23mins"

Please, tell me this is wrong :D

8. superericla macrumors 6502

Haha. Nope. I'm not joking at all. I'll be getting the pro in a couple of weeks.:D

9. keithano thread starter macrumors member

Same boat here.. haha
    I still used the first gen macbook to handle Lightroom and CS5 occasionally ( I am a professional photographer ). I do use an Imac primarily thro :D