Migration Assistant Question

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Burton8219, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

Haven't posted in a while, but have a quick question for you guys. Currently on a 2007 C2D MBP running 10.7 GM. I just ordered a new machine (15" i7 MBP) and was wondering how Migration Assistant would work porting my stuff from a Lion machine to a Snow Leopard Machine. I assume it won't be a problem, but most people are porting stuff from a later version OS to a newer, not the other way around. Just wondering if there is gonna be a problem. Thanks in advance.

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Hopefully your new machine will have Lion preinstalled. If it is a BTO, it will take about a week to get shipped. The release date is getting closer. Either way I don't think there will be a problem with the migration assistant. Make sure you have a secondary plan of action such as a clone of the drive just in case.

3. Burton8219 thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't think it would be a problem... and I also didn't even think that it might come with Lion pre-installed. Good point on that. That could make this whole question moot. Should be getting announced this week, so it makes sense machines would start getting installed with it starting about now. It does surprise me that only changing my HDD to the 500/7200 version sets my order back a business week though... its not like I'm getting an upgraded display and processor.

4. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Any change from the stock configuration is build to order. People who place BTO orders now might get Lion installed. Who knows. Good luck either way.

5. Burton8219 thread starter macrumors 6502

I understand that... just making a statement about how the added time doesn't really equal the upgrade IMO. But that's with every company, not just Apple.