Migration Assistant question...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CrAkD, Aug 9, 2012.

1. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I installed Mountain lion on a clean drive just to make sure everything went well. I used it for awhile and installed some software and stuff. Now I want to migrate all my other stuff from my other hard drive. I used the same name on both so my only options are to create 2 different logins or overwrite the new one. Im wondering if I overwrite the new one will the software I installed on that account stll be on the mac? Or will I have to reinstall it all again?

I checked from a secondary account and even tho my software isnt in the dock I can go into applications and launch it but im worried if I replace the user I installed it under will the software get deleted?

2. gmanterry macrumors regular

gmanterry

You will have a problem. The migrated account will not overwrite the account you created when you installed ML. The Migration Assistant will tell you that you cannot have two account with the same name. It will then offer to migrate your account with the same name but with a number appended to the end, like 'My Account2'. Also, just for info. If you migrate after starting FileVault2, something unexpected will happen. The account will be moved, no problem, but will only be accessible through the account switcher on the top right menu bar. It will also be blocked off in User Groups in the System Preferences Pane. The fix was to decrypt FileVault2 and then re-encrypt the drive.

3. CrAkD thread starter macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I know that but it will allow you to replace the account with the same name by using migration assistant on a diff user. But will replacing that user kill the apps I installed on that user?

4. gmanterry macrumors regular

gmanterry

Sorry, I don't know.

I'm retired and most of my 'puters have only one user with two accounts. An admin account and a user account. All apps are useable by all accounts so I don't know. Sorry.