Migration Assistant question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by msizzle64, Feb 2, 2008.

1. msizzle64 macrumors 6502

msizzle64

I have to reformat my MBP in order to partition my Disc for boot camp (Pic 1). the apple store said for me to do a erase and install of leopard, run the boot camp assistant and install windows. after that, use migration assistant to bring everything from my time machine backup to my computer. one question i have is if its going to migrate EVERYTHING back. like all my apps. or do i have to reinstall all of them. i'm asking this because in the assistant it says its going to migrate back 7.3 GB of my apps when i rally have 12.05 GB when i click on get info of my applications folder (Pic 2) . and right now i have used 75.34 GB of my hard drive but the assistant says its only going to migrate 56.6 GB. what happened to 20 GB?

PLEASE HELP! :apple:

Attached Files:

2. eddietr macrumors 6502a

I would just do the format and restore from time machine straight from the leopard installer disc (you don't need to install leopard and then use migration assistant)

I did this last weekend on my MP when I was rearranging disks and everything including apps, settings, etc was restored perfectly.

3. msizzle64 thread starter macrumors 6502

msizzle64

is that option under disk utility on the leo install disk?

4. eddietr macrumors 6502a

It's on the same menu as disk utility. Don't remember off the top of my head what that menu is called. But it's in that same menu.

Just boot from the installer, use disk utility to format the drive, and then choose restore from time machine.

The process is reasonably quick. I was pleasantly surprised.

5. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I have reinstalled Leopard twice (don't ask) and used the Migration Assistant and all of my apps, files, settings, and icons on the desktop where exactly as they were before.

Cheers.

6. msizzle64 thread starter macrumors 6502

msizzle64

thank you for all your help! about to reformat. i'll let u know on how it goes.

7. msizzle64 thread starter macrumors 6502

msizzle64

do u mean "Restore System From Time Machine" under the utilities tab in the installer. it says it will erase the destination first and the restore the system from time machine. or do i have to manually format it from disk utility then restore system from time machine?

8. eddietr macrumors 6502a

yes, that's the option.

I formatted the disk (array in my case) first with disk utility and then did the restore. I don't know what would happen if you just tried the restore directly.

Probably safer just to format with disk utility first, get the drive the way you want it and then restore.

9. msizzle64 thread starter macrumors 6502

msizzle64

well i just tried the restore. if that doesn't work ill try disk utility then restore.

Attached Files:

10. eddietr macrumors 6502a

Well, the purpose of this was to reformat the drive as HFS with journaling, right?

Did you get a chance to do that?

11. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

I think the difference in size has to do with the fact that some application are already on the hard drive, since they are installed by the OSX installer (Mail.app, iTunes, Utilities, etc... I think even a version of iLife), so the assistant doesn't copy them over. That's the conclusion I came to after observing the difference. I have used the assistant several times, and it has always moved everything correctly, without leaving anything behind.

12. msizzle64 thread starter macrumors 6502

msizzle64

i didn't do that, but the system restored. it looks like i never did anything :D and i ran the boot camp assistant and it partitioned successfully. about to install windows. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

13. eddietr macrumors 6502a

Great.

It's nice to know how easy a complete restore is, isn't it?

14. msizzle64 thread starter macrumors 6502

msizzle64

yup, very nice. windows was installed successfully. and i heard somewhere that if you want to add more disk space to your windows partition, you can without erasing the volume. how do i do that?