Migration Assistant Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tflint, Jun 30, 2009.

1. tflint macrumors newbie

My iMac G5 that is 4 years old and has been having video card problems for the last six months finally crapped out on me over the weekend. When I boot it up now the screen is just jibberish, I can barely make out what it is showing. I can see it well enough to log on once it boots up, but that is about it. So I just purchased a new 13" MBP to replace it. My question is am I still going to be able to use Migration Assistant to transfer all of my files to my new MBP without being able to do anything on my iMac other than just booting it up and logging on? Do I have to open anything on my iMac to start the process? I have everything backed up to a Time Capsule, not sure if I can connect straight to that using Migration Assistant and copy everything from there. This is only my second Mac so I have never been through this process before. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Also, I am assuming I need a firewire cable to do the transfer. The MPB has FW800, but I am not sure what the iMac has. I am assuming FW400, but I am not sure how to verify that now that I can't look at the spec details. If it is infact FW400, do I buy a FW400 to FW800 cable?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, you will just boot into Target Disk Mode for the transfer, no need to do anything on the old computer

You can also use ethernet instead of Firewire

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. tflint thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply MacDawg. So do I need to do anything other than turn on the iMac, log on, connect it to my new MBP and then follow the Migration Assistant instructions on the MPB?

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

As I recall, you can just follow the Migration Assistant instructions
    You will connect to the old computer and boot into Target Disk Mode by holding the T key when you boot I believe

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. joro macrumors 68020

joro

Migration Assistant will lead you through the process – in fact you can start by using the application first for full directions (under utilities / migration assistant). Depending on your hard drive size, I would recommend using Firewire since fast when transferring data. I transferred about 80 gigs of data in under 20 minutes when I switched from an older MBP to my new MBP back in February.

6. tflint thread starter macrumors newbie

So you are sure I can use ethernet? I just booted up my MBP for the first time and it is say to connect it to my old Mac with Firewire.

7. tflint thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I found how to do that transfer with ethernet, but this brings me back to my original problem. It is asking me to put the install DVD in my iMac, load software and then enter a passcode. All of which I can't do because my screen is so messed up and I can't read anything.