Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UNCMo96

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
I have a 2006 C2D iMac (first gen of the aluminum ones) that is getting sluggish and I am eyeing up the MBPR. This will be my second Mac and I'm thinking about using migration assistant to move to the new computer.

For iTunes all my media is on an external drive. I'm assuming if I do migration assistant and reconnect the external drive to my new computer it will all transfer over?

For iMovie all my events are on an external drive. I'm assuming the same thing as above for iTunes?

I use Aperture for photos. My whole library is on an external drive. I'm assuming the same thing here as well?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Migration Assistant will move over and data on the drive in your computer, but it won't move data on external drives. Just use Migration Assistant then plug the external drives into your new Macbook and the data will be there.

Did I understand your question correctly?

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
For iTunes, you will need to launch iTunes will holding down the Option/Alt key and then choose which iTunes Library that you want it to use, in your case, the one on your external drive. This may work for Aperture as well but I don't really know for that one.

iMovie will just see your external hard drive and find the iMovie Events folder that is on there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.