Migration Assistant reversal?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Kenjhee, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Kenjhee macrumors regular

I just got 27" iMac 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, 12GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 1TB Serial ATA HD, 256GB Secondary SSD, AMD RadeonHD 6770M 512MB GDDR5, OSX Lion, Thunderbolt...

I used Migration Assistant to transfer files from a Lenovo ThinkPad to the new iMac. I discovered that all the files are under the original PC account name, different name than the new Mac.

In researching how to "combine" the 2 accounts, I started to read where maybe it's not a good idea in the frist place to use MA when transitioning from a PC to Mac.

So my question is: will Time Machine reverse the migration? Or is there a better way to proceed?

TIA, I really appreciate everyone sharing their expertise here.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just login to the original acct you made and from there go to Users and Groups in System Prefs and delete the acct that got added from the ThinkPad.

3. Kenjhee thread starter macrumors regular

Will that erase all the data that got transferred? I know it's there, but can't see it under a different user account. I don't want a bunch of data on my hard drive that I can't see or manually erase.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes... when you click the minus sign thingy to delete the acct you will get a popup asking if you want to delete the data.

5. Kenjhee thread starter macrumors regular