Migration Assistant... Safe?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sukanas, Apr 12, 2008.

1. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

i was wondering what exactly transfered... i know the music files, preferences, apps, etcc do but do the kernels, kext etcc also transfer too?

so if i were to have a bug or some sort, would it transfer to the next mac?

or ie.. lets say i install adium then i get anew mac, then transfer it over to my new mac

would there be a difference from that than just installing adium online? besides updated version

2. kepner macrumors 6502

I believe it just transfers user accounts that you choose (along with their respective home directories), and Applications in the Applications folder. I don't see why it would cause any harm.

3. skwij macrumors 6502

I've used it a few times with no issues at all. It does migrate application support, wifi pref, etc over, so your new user account "should" behave like the old one that you're migrating over. That's of course if you choose to migrate the whole user folder over.

4. rolex54 macrumors 6502

there is nothing like dragging your files over
    that way you can do everything just how you want

5. jwt macrumors 6502

In my case it screwed everything up. I told it to move documents and pictures only. It didn't move any documents or pictures, and instead moved settings and old crap preferences and services, as well as a limited number of applications. Specifically, it moved (not copied) only Adobe Creative Suite and broke it, and thus not enabling me to deactivate it, on the old machine and wouldn't activate on the new machine. I had to call Adobe and explain that I'm not a criminal. So basically it didn't do anything I asked it to, and instead delivered the hardest and driest a$$***** possible.

6. pineslayer macrumors newbie

please help the idiot

i transfered itunes library to my newer mac, probably more than once because my hard drive is almost full, which it should not be. I can not find the duplicates to dump, and i am ready to destroy this computer. someone please save this computer from my 12 gauge

7. Blubbert macrumors 6502

I tried that, and of course all my programs that required serial numbers and alike broke, even though i did my best to transfer all of their preference files. The migration assistant done before you even create your account, that is right after you start the computer, is awesome. Transfers your entire home folder and lets you work without trouble.