Migration assistant/Time Machine question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PokerGuy, Oct 14, 2010.

1. PokerGuy macrumors member

I just used Migration assistant to move everything from my original defective iMac to my replacement (also defective) iMac and have a couple of questions if anyone can help me.

I have the SSD+HD on the iMac, and from what I can make out it is impossible to just have it copy both in one operation, so I used Migration assistant to transfer the SSD and user ac etc and then dragged everything else over using Finder to the HD. I was left with an identical copy of the other iMac except for when I look at the SSD drive in finder now I have a folder that is called home(from old Mac) which seems to be empty, and doesnt have the house icon. plus what seems to be duplicate of the User Guides and information shortcut. Other than that it seems like a normal looking HD in finder.

What is this folder, and why doesnt it show as the house icon, and should I just delete it as it seems empty anyway?

I am going to be getting replacement again so will be repeating this process, and just want to know if there is a better way to do it.

It seems Time Machine cannot automatically keep backups of a multiple drive set up either - is there a program that can work as easily as TM but copy everything on both drives automatically?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. PokerGuy thread starter macrumors member

3. PokerGuy thread starter macrumors member

4. fastasleep macrumors 6502

fastasleep

try synk (http://www.decimus.net/) - there are a few versions, i use the pro version. you can schedule backups, queue up backups for multiple drives, folders, sets of folders, etc.

it creates bootable backups too, so you could clone your boot drive, then set a backup of the other drive to go to another folder on that same drive. you'll need to make sure you've got your settings right so you don't conflict with the two scripts, but it'll work.

i like time machine but it's not particularly flexible (which makes it ideal for casual users with one drive / one backup).

you can delete 'home (from old Mac)' though you might need to do so in Terminal – "rm -rf 'home (from old Mac)' " - if it doesn't seem to want to die. it's a remnant from migration assistant.