Migration assistant to MBPR: Now I cannot update '09 ilife to '11

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dandanapple, Jul 29, 2012.

1. dandanapple macrumors newbie

dandanapple

I had '09 ilife on my 2009 MBP with Lion.

I did migration assistant to my new MBPR, and it transferred things over pretty well. In the App Store, it shows iMovie, iPhoto, and Garageband as purchases to install. But if I try to install them, it gives me "hash error".

Your help is appreciated.

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

What if you delete iMovie, iPhoto and GarageBand and then attempt to install?

3. dandanapple thread starter macrumors newbie

dandanapple

I deleted iMovie with AppCleaner and there is still the hash error. I have given it some time, and it still doesn't work.

I had the same problem with Numbers: I deleted Numbers, and tried to reinstall, but it had the hash error. After about a week of doing nothing, it just worked when trying to install it again.

I WAS able to uninstall Garageband and install it again new immediately, so that is working.

I haven't tried Iphoto yet as I don't want to mess around with that until iMovie is figured out.

Thanks.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

5. dandanapple thread starter macrumors newbie

dandanapple

Thanks for the heads up. AppCleaner was recommended by Apple phone support, but you're right, it's not thorough enough, though it is more thorough than a simple App -> Trash.

In the end, this problem was solved. I had to manually delete everything associated with iphoto and imovie, including stuff in "library" and the folders they set up in users > pictures/movies.