Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjyoungSD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
Hi,

I’m trying to transfer data from an older MBP with USB-C to a new 16”.

Is it possible to do this over USB-C? It seems to default to WiFi and the process is insanely slow.

Is there a faster way?

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Hi,

I’m trying to transfer data from an older MBP with USB-C to a new 16”.

Is it possible to do this over USB-C? It seems to default to WiFi and the process is insanely slow.

Is there a faster way?

Since you say MBP with USB-C (so Thunderbolt 3) you should be able to put the old one into Target Disk mode and use the Assistant with that: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201462

Requires a Thunderbolt 3 cable.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
I tried a variety of methods and this is far and away the best method

they give you prompts for hi tynabcibea and it works best

the other methods i found problematic

rjyoungSD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
Forgive my naivety, but is there is a difference between the USB-C and a thunderbolt 3 cable?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
USB-C is the name of the connector--the physical plug and socket. Thunderbolt and USB are data transfer protocols--the signaling specifications for transferring data. Use "USB-C" only when you are referring to the plug itself--either the female end or the male end. Use "USB" or "Thunderbolt" when you are speaking about the type of connection.

To migrate from one MacBook Pro to another, you want a cable with male USB-C plugs on each end. There is no difference between a "USB-C" cable and a Thunderbolt 3 cable. Both have the same wires and carry whatever type of data the end devices support. If you plug a USB device into the Mac's USB-C port it will operate at USB speeds. But if you plug a Thunderbolt device into the same device with the same cable, the two will communicate using Thunderbolt protocols at Thunderbolt speeds.

Edit: see post below. I think I was wrong about common cables.

Last edited:

Dovahkiing

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2013
I
There is no difference between a "USB-C" cable and a Thunderbolt 3 cable. Both have the same wires and carry whatever type of data the end devices support.

I don't believe this is accurate. I recall Thunderbolt cables have dedicated chipsets embedded in the cable heads that allow the cable to function over the TB data protocol or whatever/however that works. Type-C cables that support Thunderbolt 3 will have the lighting bolt symbol on the cable head.

Reactions: jaytv111

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I don't believe this is accurate. I recall Thunderbolt cables have dedicated chipsets embedded in the cable heads that allow the cable to function over the TB data protocol or whatever/however that works. Type-C cables that support Thunderbolt 3 will have the lighting bolt symbol on the cable head.
I think you are right. I was probably wrong about that.

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007

Exactly. Cables have different capabilities. If you want simple, you can go with the Apple Thunderbolt 3 cable. It supports everything under the sun, USB data at all currently implemented speeds, 100 watt power, Displayport alt mode, and Thunderbolt protocol. Buy one of those and you could hook the old Macbook Pro with Thunderbolt 3 to the new Macbook Pro with Thunderbolt 3. Fun fact, you can also have a 10 Gbit network between the two Macs with Thunderbolt 3 or even a PC with Thunderbolt 3 if you didn't want to boot it in Target Mode.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Fishrrman's "the best way to do it" routine:

1. Use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper (both are free to use for 30 days) to create a complete clone of your "old" internal drive onto a USB3 external drive.
(this creates a "snapshot" of your entire computer just before you move stuff to the new one)

2. Connect the external drive and boot the NEW Mac for the first time.

3. Begin setup and when setup assistant asks if you wish to migrate data, "point it" at the external drive. Give setup assistant time to "digest" everything on it (it doesn't offer much user feedback while its doing so).

4. Now select what you wish to migrate from the list that setup assistant presents to you. I'd just accept all the defaults (leave everything checked), and proceed.

5. Again, give setup assistant time to copy things over.

6. When done, you should see your login screen. Login and "look around". It should look pretty much like the old one did.

Done.

nikbongard

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2020
I

You do need a specific Thunderbolt3 to Thunderbolt3 cable - the charging cable that comes with the MacBooks do not work. Also, Target Disk Mode doesn't seem to work on these computers (particularly with Big Sur). Instead, launch Migration Assistant on both computers, and on the OLD one, select TO another computer. On the NEW one, select FROM another computer. Verify the code, and proceed! I just battled with this for an hour, and finally figured it out.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015

1. Use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper (both are free to use for 30 days) to create a complete clone of your "old" internal drive onto a USB3 external drive.
(this creates a "snapshot" of your entire computer just before you move stuff to the new one)

3. Begin setup and when setup assistant asks if you wish to migrate data, "point it" at the external drive. Give setup assistant time to "digest" everything on it (it doesn't offer much user feedback while its doing so).

4. Now select what you wish to migrate from the list that setup assistant presents to you. I'd just accept all the defaults (leave everything checked), and proceed.

6. When done, you should see your login screen. Login and "look around". It should look pretty much like the old one did.

Done.
This is indeed a great way to go. Also safest because at any given point you have two copies of your data.

nikbongard

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2020
This is indeed a great way to go. Also safest because at any given point you have two copies of your data.
Yes, that would definitely work too, but would take twice the time, making the clone first. I usually do that if a CCC or Time Machine backup already exists. Thanks!

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Yes, that would definitely work too, but would take twice the time, making the clone first. I usually do that if a CCC or Time Machine backup already exists. Thanks!
Yeah, for sure. Anytime I've done this kind of thing it's a "walk away and leave it be for a while" kind of operation. But doing it all in one shot would be simpler.

Migration Assistant is a fantastic bit of tech, however you do it. Hasn't let me down yet.

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA

Done.
^^^^ This ^^^^

I recently attempted a TB3 cable target disk mode migration from a 2018 13" MBP (Mojave) to a 2020 10th gen MBP (Catalina) and though the transfer completed, it ended up a mess.

Ran a CCC backup and restored via Migration Assistant onto a clean Catalina install and all was well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.